Since the first edition of Brightflag’s legal operations compensation survey was published in 2022, the legal ops profession has continued to grow in breadth and strategic importance, in spite of turmoil in equity markets and the broader economy.
Brightflag once again partnered with Legal Operators on the legal operations compensation survey to help legal ops professionals, General Counsel, and HR leaders to better understand fair market compensation and trends.
The survey, which was conducted from January to February 2023 and received more than 400 qualified responses, is more relevant than ever. Legal ops has crossed the chasm—meaning it’s becoming more common for in-house teams to have legal ops than not—and there are no other authoritative legal operations compensation benchmarks.
The legal operations compensation survey helps to answer three important questions:
- Are you being paid fairly?
- How much should you pay your team?
- How can I convince HR?
What’s in the Legal Operations Compensation Survey
Download the survey results to see:
- Survey demographics including work location, industry, department size, years of professional experience, bar admittance status, reporting line, people management responsibility, and diversity
- Base salary, bonus, and equity compensation for heads of legal ops by department size and for other legal ops roles by years of professional experience
- Segmented compensation information for US-based roles at technology companies
- How gender and ethnicity impact compensation
- How former paralegals are compensated in legal ops roles
- Base salary ranges from 74 legal ops roles posted during the survey period
About the Authors
Kevin Cohn is Brightflag’s Chief Customer Officer. He has 17 years in executive management at high-growth tech companies and was responsible for corporate legal in his previous two companies . He has a B.S. in Statistics from Carnegie Mellon University and is a member of the Legal Operators advisory board .
Colin McCarthy is Founder & CEO of Legal Operators and a passionate community builder. He’s an advisor to and investor in numerous legal tech companies and was previously at Twitter, Rubrik, GlobalFoundries, and Sonos.
Watch the Legal Operations Compensation Survey Webinar
The legal operations compensation survey authors revealed and discussed the survey results in a webinar, which you can watch on demand.